More people are keeping their teeth throughout their lives. We think better at home care is an important factor in maintaining your oral health and preventing tooth loss. Our dental hygienist explains that most mouth disease is caused by plague, a sticky layer of bacteria and organic matter that forms on your teeth. The best defense begins at home by brushing your teeth 2 to 3 times a day and flossing.
Need a refresher course? Here are a few brushing tips offered by our dental hygienist.
- Brush at least twice a day. Make sure that one of those times is just before you go to bed.
- Brush no more than three times a day. Too much brushing can damage your gums.
- Brush lightly. Contrary to some opinions, brushing too hard can damage your gums causing them to recede.
- Brush for at least two minutes. Set a timer if you have to!
- Have a standard routine for bushing. It’s easier to remember… the same time.. every day.
- Always use a toothbrush with soft or extra-soft bristles.
- Change your tooth-brush regularly. At least every 3 months… throw it out!
- Choose a brush with the seal of approval from the ADA.
- We recommend Rotadent, if an electric brush is suggested by our hygienist.
- Floss your teeth, make it a habit every day.
- Schedule your dental hygiene appointment. We recommend every three months!
It only takes a few minutes a day and a little practice to establishing a life time routine that prevents decay, gum disease and tooth loss. Our dental hygienist will give you complete instructions and recommendation based on your oral health needs. We offer comprehensive dental hygiene appointments and spend time educating our patient and answering all of their questions. Schedule your dental hygiene appointment today.