One of the greatest benefits of using dental implants for single tooth replacement is the ability to avoid grinding down healthy teeth adjacent to the missing one (something that is necessary when placing a fixed traditional bridge.) Instead, a single prosthetic tooth root (implant) is placed directly into your jaw to function as an independent tooth.
Benefits of Single Dental Implants
In most cases, the function, feel and appearance of your single implant will not be that much different than the rest of your teeth. With an implant:
- It’s easy to brush, floss and care for your new tooth
- You can enhance the health and quality of bone in that area
- We create a custom porcelain crown that looks and feels natural
- You preserve the health of your adjacent teeth
- Spacing is maintained, as other teeth do not drift out of place
Characteristics of Single Implant Teeth
The design of your dental implant restoration will depend on the number of teeth that are missing. When replacing a single tooth, the implant itself consists of three separate parts:
- Implant Root
- The “root” of your new tooth is the actual implant. Made of titanium, these biocompatible prosthetic tooth roots are placed directly into the bone. As a result, the titanium triggers a process called osseointegration, which means new bone grows around and fuses with the implant itself. Once osseointegration has occurred, the implant is fused into place like a natural tooth. This process typically takes a few months to achieve and before our implant specialists place a restoration on top of the new tooth.
- The Implant Abutment
- About three months later, the top of the implant is uncovered, and a small abutment is fitted into it. The abutment will provide the housing that supports a fixed restoration, such as the crown, bridge or denture. In this case, we use a crown, because only one tooth is missing.
- Porcelain Implant Crown
- Finally, a custom designed crown is created for your missing tooth and is bonded directly on top of your implant abutment. Your new crown is made of quality porcelain materials that withstand everyday use, yet reflect maximum aesthetics. As you smile, talk or laugh, your crown should be completely indistinguishable from the rest of your teeth.
Ensuring a Successful Implant Placement
At Aesthetic and Implant Dentistry of Atlanta, our prosthodontists and implant experts work hand in hand with Dr. Steve Bankston, who is a well-respected Atlanta oral surgeon, to precisely place and restore each and every implant, using the most advanced techniques and support therapies available.
Even if you’ve been told in the past that you were not a candidate for dental implants, we invite you to call our Atlanta dental implant specialists for a second opinion. Thanks to 3D CT imaging and PRFG (plasma rich in growth factors) options, we’re making single tooth dental implants an option for more people than ever before.
Multiple Teeth Replacement
When you have several missing teeth, dental implants are one of the best long-term solutions for restoring your smile. With dental implant therapy, you can:
- Replace any number of missing teeth at once
- Fix a larger prosthesis into place, such as a bridge or denture
- Work with Atlanta implant specialists to create realistic restorations that mimic natural teeth
- Avoid altering adjacent, healthy teeth during the process
Implant Options for Missing Multiple Teeth
Dental implants are extremely strong, and they can support more weight than that of a natural tooth root. This allows our implant specialists to position the implants in a way that they can support larger fixed restorations, such as bridges and dentures.
Dental Bridges for Implants
Traditional dental bridges require drilling down healthy teeth adjacent to the missing one so that a fixed bridge can be bonded on top of them. The end result only allows us to replace one or two teeth at a time. However, an implant-supported bridge is supported on each end by individual implants. Their integrity and support mean that we can replace multiple teeth at one time.
Because our prosthodontists and implant dentists work side by side with an Atlanta oral surgeon, we are able to tailor the unique implant bridge to the specific bite needs of your smile. Your implant bridge will:
- Enhance your natural facial profile
- Reflect optimal aesthetics, thanks to our careful design process
- Function independently of your natural teeth
- Be easy to care for and maintain
- Return your natural biting and chewing capabilities
- Retain proper spacing of your natural teeth
Dental implant bridges are a more reliable alternative to removable partial dentures. If you’re already wearing a partial and find it bothersome or uncomfortable, our Atlanta implant dentists can help.
Implant Supported Dentures
If you are missing all of your teeth, we also offer implant-supported dentures, which can be secured with as few as two dental implants. In some cases, we can reinforce your current denture with implants by retrofitting it appropriately. Our prosthodontic specialists can guide you through the most appropriate option. For more information, read more about our implant dentures. Contact our office today to schedule your appointment.